Re: 23.0.50; C-M-p is missing (carbon emacs)

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; C-M-p is missing (carbon emacs)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:23:47 +0900

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> You can find what's using a key with `C-h k'; for me C-M-p is bound to
> backward-list which is the default.  What does it say for you?

Nothing.

I found the cause. It's out of Emacs. Some system wide keymapping
doesn't generate C-M-p key at all...

> There is no Cocoa Emacs.  Use Emacs.App for a Cocoa port, it's not

We actually referred to the same thing.

The binary result of Cocoa port is also Emacs.app. So calling the
nextstep/cocoa port Emacs.app is rather confusing. Maybe a better naming
is Nextstep Emacs, or Cocoa Emacs(not quite appropriate, but help people
understand, i'd say).

> exactly in sync with CVS but it's OK and supported.

If you followed their mailing lists, you must know that I had reported
my failing attempts of either running the pre-compiled binary or
building from sources. And witnessed a similar failing attempt days
ago. No solutions yet.

[...]

> I'm pretty sure that the Carbon port will
> remain unsupported, regardless of its performance, because there's no
> maintainer and (IIRC) it was decided to wait until after the next Emacs
> release to decide what to do with MacOS X support.

Unsupported though, it's still runable & pretty stable, unlike Nextstep
Emacs.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org