Re: Moving to the new infrastructure

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: Moving to the new infrastructure
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:41:29 -0600

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:53:05 -0500, Sam Steingold <address@hidden> said:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>> Would you like to volunteer to try one of the candidate bug trackers
>> using only email, and see how well it works?

> In my experience, "e-mail - operated bug trackers" (e.g., RT) are much
> worse than simple mailing lists.  specifically, if you use more than
> one e-mail address (as I do), they turn into an unmitigated disaster
> because they tend to require that you reply using the same address
> which was used when you first submitted the issue &c.

        This is certainly not a limitation of the Debian bug tracking
 system, debbugs, since it does not require people to be "registered".
 Having used this for almost a decade, I can say that in my personal
 opinion, debbugs has outperformed any othe issue tracking system I have
 used (I ahve run bugzilla and request tracker for my day job).

        This is how it works:
 http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control

        Debbugs keeps track of which versions of the software various
 issues are related to, and has a web front end for viewing.  The web
 frontend can be ordered by various ways; please see the difference
 between:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=debian-policy&address@hidden&ordering=policy
        and
 http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=debian-policy

        Same package, same bugs, but ordered in a totally different
 fashion; and any user can set up their own classification and order,
 independently of anyone else, and share the classification/order for
 the bugs.

        Also, people can track the same issue across different packages
 individually without needing sysadmin intervention; hewre are bugs that
 are deemed to be release critical and affect arm, m68k, s390, and sparc:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&address@hidden&tag=rc-arm,rc-m68k,rc-s390,rc-sparc&nam0=Status&pri0=pending:pending,forwarded,pending-fixed,fixed,done&ttl0=Outstanding,Forwarded,Pending%20Upload,Fixed%20in%20NMU,Resolved&nam1=Architecture&pri1=tag:rc-arm,rc-m68k,rc-s390,rc-sparc&ttl1=arm,m68k,s390,sparc&ord1=0,1,2,3

        Please do not think that debbugs is yet anotherrun of the mill
 system with the flaws of other bug systems; it truly stands alone.

        manoj
ps: here is a refcard for the system:
 http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-refcard
--
"Unemployment is an inconvenience." John F. Haugh II
Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>