Re: Implementing Eclipse's "organize-imports" in Emacs Lisp

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Implementing Eclipse's "organize-imports" in Emacs Lisp
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:36:46 +0100

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Tom,

> There's eclim, a similar idea applied to vim:
>
> http://eclim.sourceforge.net/

Hey, that looks really exciting.  Reading through the feature list it
seems they brought most features of eclipse to vim.  The only thing
that's missing there is eclipse's refactoring tool.

> I haven't tried it but I believe this runs a headless eclipse (the
> whole thing AFAICT) in the background.  That seems a bit heavyweight,

Well, better to be a bit heavyweight than to eventually reach a point
where we'd have to say: Sorry, that's not possible with our approach.

> but OTOH perhaps they have done all the hard work already.

Clicking through their repository I'd say that we couldn't reuse much
code.  There seems to be two small shell scripts (a client and a server)
with some small java module that talks to eclipse, but everything else
is done in vimscript.

Anyway, it's exciting to see that it's feasible to control eclipse from
an external app.

Bye,
Tassilo