RE: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mappeddrive

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mappeddrive
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:33:21 -0800

> Is there some way to ask Windows (from Emacs) whether a drive letter is
> mapped or local?

In the absence of any suggestion, I'm thinking of providing a user option in
my code that specifies the local drive letters, defaulting to, say, A
through I.

Googling showed that local drive vs mapped network drive can be tested, in
C# at least (using GetDriveType() or DriveInfo.DriveType). I didn't come
across a way to test it from C, however.

It would be great if Emacs were somehow to provide a predicate for this. In
spite of its name, `file-remote-p' does not consider files on mapped network
drives to be remote. They are perhaps not remote in the original Emacs sense
of the word (requiring remote protocol access, such as FTP), but they are
remote in terms of access time. And many of the uses of `file-remote-p' are
concerned about access time.