Re: Implementing Eclipse's "organize-imports" in Emacs Lisp

From: Alan Shutko
Subject: Re: Implementing Eclipse's "organize-imports" in Emacs Lisp
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:40:13 -0600

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Anyway, it's exciting to see that it's feasible to control eclipse from
> an external app.

I've semi-adopted RemoteEclipse[1], which consists of an Eclipse plugin and
some elisp that uses beanshell and java rpc to communicate to Eclipse.
It was limited to pulling the project information (classpath,
directories, etc) from Eclipse, triggering builds, and retrieving error
information into a *compile* buffer.  It didn't attempt to integrate
with Eclipse's project navigation or rafactoring features, instead
allowing JDEE tools to handle it.

I've somewhat updated it to work with Eclipse 3.x[2] but Eclipse 3
changed to do compilation in a background thread, and that would really
require a fair rework of the whole plugin.  I'd also like to change the
communication path... beanshell to java rpc just bugs me.

I think there are some good ideas in RemoteEclipse, but it might be
easier to start with fresh code.

Footnotes:
[1]  Formerly at
http://www.raffael.ch/index.jsp?content=page/FTP/RemoteEclipse, but the