Re: Simple Tasks, new TODO category

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Simple Tasks, new TODO category
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 02:11:42 +0100

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Well, why don't we contribute some experience to this excessively
theoretical discussion.

Specifically, it works in practice, since 1997, with no complaints I
can recall.  The logic for use of "%_" is that it looks like a printf
format operator, and does what it looks like: underlines the following
character in the string.  Because of the ubiquity of printf format
strings, programmers are used to treating strings containing "%"
specially.  It is very easy to see the accelerators in menu code that
uses them.  Besides the "%_" sequence, the "%%" sequence is treated
specially; it resolves to a single "%".

It looks unnecessarily complicated to me to use two characters instead of one. I think Just "_" would be fine, but perhaps there are reason to be compatible to Xemacs.

I think nearly all is said and what remain is a decision.