RE: wrong-type-argument in gud-tooltip-mode

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: RE: wrong-type-argument in gud-tooltip-mode
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:10:48 +0800

>> The buffer that satisfies both the two predicates there is the buffer
>> " *partial-output-*", the value of its variable `gud-minor-mode' is
>> copied from the one inside `gud-comint-buffer', in my case it is
>> 'gdba. Its name, " *partial-output-*", does not match the regular
>> expression too. And of course it does not visit any file.
>
> OK, I see I added a space in Dec 2006 to make the buffer invisible in
> list-buffers but I still don't see why there is an error because
> gdb-create-define-alist only uses the file as input if one exists:

>  (call-process shell-file-name
>  (if (file-exists-p file) file nil)
>  (concat gdb-cpp-define-alist-program " "
>  gdb-cpp-define-alist-flags))...
>
> Also I've tried to reproduce the error in emacs-unicode-2 and on the trunk
> but can't.

It is easy to reproduce now, even without gdb.  Since the buffer
" *partial-output-*" does not visit any file, the FILE argument provided
to `file-exists-p' will be nil.  However,

  (file-exists-p nil)
  error--> Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

That is the error.

> Can you please set debug-on-error to t, recreate the error and post the
> lisp backtrace here?

Starting with the -Q option, I got

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  file-exists-p(nil)
  gdb-create-define-alist()
  gud-tooltip-mode(toggle)
  call-interactively(gud-tooltip-mode t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu