Re: Tabbed buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tabbed buffers
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:04:18 -0500

    > combination of settings could make everything work nicely in that case,
    > e.g., having the tab title default to the [first/only?] buffer name, and
    > configuring emacs to always create new tabs instead of new windows...?

    That's pretty much what I was suggesting: introduce a pop-up-tabs
    variable between pop-up-windows and pop-up-frames.

Maybe there should be two kinds of tabs:

* Ordinary tabs.  If you are in one of these, the "other window"
operations work as now, staying in the same tab.

* Specified tabs.  These are created by programs such as GUD, and set
up in precise window configurations by them.

If you are in a specified tab, and you visit a buffer in "another
window", `display-buffer' creates a new ordinary tab, switches to it,
and displays the buffer there.

The user command to make a tab should make an ordinary tab.