Re: Using several frames on TTYs, switching them, terminology: [Is also:

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Using several frames on TTYs, switching them, terminology: [Is also: Tabbed buffers]
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:33:15 +0000

Hi, Eli!

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 10:52:19PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:55:38 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > The mechanism for switching frames (C-x 5 o, repeated ad nauseam till
> > you finally reach the frame you're looking for) is so broken as to be
> > unusable, at least for me.

> A solution has been in existence for that problem for a very long time:
> give your frame a name with "M-x set-frame-name RET FOO RET", then
> select it with "M-x select-frame-by-name RET FOO RET".  Puff!  problem
> gone.

Hmm.  I'm not imaginative enough with names.  ;-)  Having to keep coming
up with names for new frames (probably, by putting the question in
after-make-frame-functions) would be intolerably annoying.

The names F1, F2, .... are good enough for me, and even match the names
of the keys used to switch to them.  :-)  Trouble is, these names don't
seem to be used on GUI Emacs (which I have to use at work).  So there,
I've enhanced my mode line to display the "Fn".

Obviously, select-frame-by-name would need a binding if you were using it
all the time.  select-frame-by-number would be quite handy too, but even
that would be too slow for me, even assuming a numeric prefix argument
and a single-key binding.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).