Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:30:09 +0100

> I think you have the wrong picture of the issue.

That implies that there is only one right picture.

> All the GNU packages are part of one joint project to develop an
> operating system.  To achieve this we must support each other.  To
> keep ourselves honest, we must use other GNU packages whenever they
> are fit for use.

Using a package is not the same as supporting it: it actually places
additional burdens on its developers.  When there are no additional
resources moved to them as well, their package has no tangible advantage
from this sort of "support".  And when this makes the sitation worse at
the "supporting" package, the total situation is a loss for GNU.