Re: file-remote-p and its arguments

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: file-remote-p and its arguments
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:43:21 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> From what I can tell, the `connected' argument is *never* used.

`recentf-keep-default-predicate'. The reasoning is in
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-07/msg00416.html>

> And I have found only one use of the `identification' argument, if
> grep.el where it seems not to be necessary: grep.el passes `host' for
> that argument in order to build a map from hosts to default grep
> commands and arguments, on the assumption that all users on a host will
> have the same grep commands in their PATH.  I think this "optimization"
> in grep.el (where they determine the grep defaults once per host instead
> of once per remote access method (typically a triplet of
> protocol/user/host)) is of no importance and is even not 100% reliable.

It's less than an "optimization", it is just a kludge to let grep
work also on remote hosts. The decision might be to either complete
the implementation, or to throw away this feature.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.