Re: Windows: Documentation for bin\*.exe

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Windows: Documentation for bin\*.exe
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:08:11 +0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Thanks, but I'm not sure it is appropriate to describe in README.W32
programs that are not specific to the w32 build, such as etags,
ebrowse, hexl, movemail, etc.
The descriptions basically consist of pointers to the appropriate chapter of the Emacs manual.

If these should be documented (hexl and
movemail are internal to Emacs, for example, and are not supposed to
be run directly by the user), it should be done in a file that isn't
specific to Windows.

Where would you install such a file? On Windows, Emacs is installed in its own directory, which is conventional for Windows, but on other platforms the programs are scattered between /usr/bin and /usr/libexec/emacs/22.1.90 (or /usr/local/... or /opt/...). I think users of other platforms expect to find such information in manpages or the texinfo manual, where they are already documented.