23.0.60; Bugs with ftx font-backend

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: 23.0.60; Bugs with ftx font-backend
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:27:35 +0100

Hello!

In dired-mode file names and directory names are displayed in different faces, for file names:

There are text properties here:
 auto-composed        t
 fontified            t
 help-echo            "mouse-2: visit this file in other window"
 mouse-face           highlight

for directory names:

 auto-composed        t
 face                 dired-directory
 fontified            t
 help-echo            "mouse-2: visit this file in other window"
 mouse-face           highlight

When the cursor is on the same character, x, I get for the directory name's x:

       character: x (120, #o170, #x78)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
      code point: 0x78
          syntax: w which means: word
        category: a:ASCII graphic characters 32-126 (ISO646 IRV:1983[4/0]) l:Latin
  r:Japanese roman
     buffer code: #x78
       file code: not encodable by coding system utf-8-unix
         display: by this font (glyph code)
    lucidatypewriter:pixelsize=10:foundry=b&h:weight=medium:slant=r:width=normal (#x59)

and for the file name's x:

       character: x (120, #o170, #x78)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
      code point: 0x78
          syntax: w which means: word
        category: a:ASCII graphic characters 32-126 (ISO646 IRV:1983[4/0]) l:Latin
  r:Japanese roman
     buffer code: #x78
       file code: not encodable by coding system utf-8-unix
         display: by this font (glyph code)
    lucidatypewriter:pixelsize=10:foundry=b&h:weight=medium:slant=r:width=normal (#x59)

It looks quite equal. But when I look at both names in dired buffer I see differences that obviously come from different fonts used, which is not reported as can be seen above:

PNG image

Another effect is that text file names get scrambled or partly extinguished thought that green background when the mouse cursor moves over the names:

PNG image

And then the names of directories are completely wrong when the mouse cursor hovers above such an item. The change in name happens simultaneously with the appearing of the green background:

PNG image

All tests done with src/emacs -Q. The different background colours come from default- and initial-frame-alist settings done in *scratch* buffer. Looking with an electronic magnifier glass I can see that the glyphs of the directory and sym-link names are anti-aliased (as are the italic names of the text properties items in *Help* buffer, or the incredibly RED group Write permission), while the other glyphs seem to come from a bitmapped font: every pixel has the same intensity level.

BTW, de-composed characters in Mac OS X HFS+ file names are shown as their basic Latin glyphs without further "decoration."

--
Greetings

  Pete

Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one that corrupts your file?
– Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy