Re: Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 15:32:27 -0500

Yoni Rabkin wrote:
I'm seeing strange recenter-top-bottom (C-l) behaviour in CVS
Emacs. Here is how I can recreate this on my machine.

1. I ran: emacs-23.0.60 -q

   Which is: GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
             scroll bars) of 2008-02-02

2. Load the text of GPLv3 in Text mode (for example, but this happens in
   other modes as well).

3. Move point to down to line 40.

4. Enter <C-l>. As a result line 40 goes to the center of the screen
   (%3), and so far so good.

5. Enter <C-l> a second time. As a result line 40 goes to the very top
   of the screen (%6).

6. Enter <C-l> a third time. As a result line 40 goes to the near the
   bottom of the screen (top of the buffer in view).

7. Enter <C-l> a forth time. The results are as if you are back at step
   (4).

An instance of Emacs 22 I have around behaves normally (every subsequent
C-l stays in place, like step (4)).

Damn that's nice! Sometimes it is so hard to keep track of all the new features that get added to the code base. This one in particular slipped by my notice but now that I see what it is, my opinion is that it is very helpful feature. I think thanks are due to Drew Adams(?) for adding it.

-pmr