Re: Improving X selection?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:44:39 +0100

David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
On 02/02/2008, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
(Some mouse.el interactions need additional options too I think - yet
another mail to follow with them...)

See attached patch (n.b. depends on previously sent patch
"enhanced-x-selection.diff", guess l should do an aggregate patch with
all proposed stuff...)

Goal here was mouse behaviour that fits in nicely with
select-active-regions, three main issues (one for each button as it
happens...):

*** 1. mouse-set-point vs. select-active-regions issue:

Add a deactivate-mark in mouse-set-point: This prevents copying
different text than expected to primary when select-active-regions is
true and you mouse-1 click to move the point (otherwise it ends up
setting the X11 selection to the region between the mark and new place
you clicked, which is not right).

However blindly deactivating the mark when the mouse is used to set
the point may be a bit too heavy-handed/sweeping, there may be
subtleties I haven't spotted?

Are you saying that one can't set mark, move the point with the mouse and then do stuff like M-w, C-x C-x anymore? If so, I think that is totally unacceptable, it makes mouse-set-point almost unusable.

        Jan D.