Re: Improving X selection?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 13:12:23 +0000

On 03/02/2008, Jan D. <address@hidden> wrote:
> David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
> > *** 1. mouse-set-point vs. select-active-regions issue:
> >
> > Add a deactivate-mark in mouse-set-point: This prevents copying
> > different text than expected to primary when select-active-regions is
> > true and you mouse-1 click to move the point (otherwise it ends up
> > setting the X11 selection to the region between the mark and new
> > place you clicked, which is not right).
> >
> > However blindly deactivating the mark when the mouse is used to set
> > the point may be a bit too heavy-handed/sweeping, there may be
> > subtleties I haven't spotted?
> >

> Are you saying that one can't set mark, move the point with the mouse
> and then do stuff like M-w, C-x C-x anymore?  If so, I think that is
> totally unacceptable, it makes mouse-set-point almost unusable.

Well,  agreed:

It didn't really look like the right thing to do (do please consider
the patches a starting point, they're surely not ready for merge),
though N.B these three cases remain working:

(a) one can set both the mark and point with the keyboard
(b) or set both the mark and point at once with mouse-1-drag
(c) or with the (patched) mouse-save-then-kill mouse-3-clicks to set
or adjust region.

It "only" causes a problem with mixed keyboard/mouse-1 i.e.
(d) hit keyboard C-SPC to set mark and then use mouse-1-click
(mouse-set-point) with the expectation of defining an active region.

Uh. Did (d) work before?  It probably did, I just don't have an
unmutilated emacs to hand to check.