Re: Still cannot build native windows version of emacs 23.*

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Still cannot build native windows version of emacs 23.*
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 21:50:28 +0200

> From: Eric Lilja <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:52:46 +0100
>
> Hi, I just performed a fresh cvs checkout and tried to build a native
> windows version, using  --enable-font-backend. I'm using a cygwin bash
> shell, with latest mingw make and cygwin's gcc in mingw mode (using
> -mno-cygwin). I've been building cvs versions of emacs this way for a
> few years now.
>
> The bootstrap fails with:
> mingw32-make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> `../lisp/international/charprop.el', needed by `DOC'.  Stop.

Are you sure there were no stale files in the tree where you
bootstrapped?

If the above does not help, please post here the full transcript of
"configure --enable-font-backend" and "make bootstrap".  This problem
should have been solved since yesterday.

> Still getting alot of these warnings (for all lisp files maybe):
> Compiling url/url-ns.elWarning: Default coding system `iso-latin-1'
> disagrees with system codeset `cp1252' for this locale.
> How do I avoid those in the build environment I briefly described above?
>
> Noticed several warnings in syntax.c relating to comparison always true
> or false (can't remember which) due to limited range of data types or
> something like that. You probably know what I'm talking about.
>
> Also noticed this:
> In toplevel form:
> term/mac-win.el:1146:1:Error: Invalid read syntax: "?"

I see these as well.  Please wait patiently until these are resolved.
The Windows port currently needs quite a few fixes, and it will take
time to make them.  If you need a stable Emacs, I don't recommend the
trunk right now.