Re: Still cannot build native windows version of emacs 23.*

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Re: Still cannot build native windows version of emacs 23.*
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 21:01:33 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Eric Lilja <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:52:46 +0100

Hi, I just performed a fresh cvs checkout and tried to build a native windows version, using --enable-font-backend. I'm using a cygwin bash shell, with latest mingw make and cygwin's gcc in mingw mode (using -mno-cygwin). I've been building cvs versions of emacs this way for a few years now.

The bootstrap fails with:
mingw32-make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../lisp/international/charprop.el', needed by `DOC'. Stop.

Are you sure there were no stale files in the tree where you
bootstrapped?

Yes, I removed the old checkout completely.

If the above does not help, please post here the full transcript of
"configure --enable-font-backend" and "make bootstrap".  This problem
should have been solved since yesterday.

I will post again with them attached as text files. Do you have any tips on how I should get the output into text files in the best possible way?
Just use > or something else?

Still getting alot of these warnings (for all lisp files maybe):
Compiling url/url-ns.elWarning: Default coding system `iso-latin-1' disagrees with system codeset `cp1252' for this locale.
How do I avoid those in the build environment I briefly described above?

Noticed several warnings in syntax.c relating to comparison always true or false (can't remember which) due to limited range of data types or something like that. You probably know what I'm talking about.

Also noticed this:
In toplevel form:
term/mac-win.el:1146:1:Error: Invalid read syntax: "?"

I see these as well.  Please wait patiently until these are resolved.
The Windows port currently needs quite a few fixes, and it will take
time to make them.  If you need a stable Emacs, I don't recommend the
trunk right now.

I wish I could help. =/