Re: The bootstrap of Emacs on Cygwin is broken [Is also: unicode branch

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: The bootstrap of Emacs on Cygwin is broken [Is also: unicode branch is merged to trunk]
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 23:07:57 +0100

Eli Zaretskii ha scritto:
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:35:09 +0100
From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
CC: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden

May you suggest an optimal value for STATIC_HEAP_SIZE ?

I have done several tries.

With STATIC_HEAP_SIZE 30MB (30*1024*1024) at the end of the build I find:

$ find /tmp/ -name "*stackdump*"
/tmp/emacs/lisp/international/temacs.exe.stackdump

Instead trying 32 MB seems to avoid the stackdump and STATIC_HEAP_SIZE should be >= 32 MB.

> How about calling report_sheap_usage from GDB, like so:
>
>   (gdb) call report_sheap_usage(0)
>
> It should print how much of the static heap is used.  By defining a
> large value of STATIC_HEAP_SIZE and measuring its usage with this
> function, you could estimate the optimal value.

I have tried this:

gdb /tmp/build/src/temacs
(gdb)run --batch --load loadup bootstrap
[...]
(gdb) call report_sheap_usage(0)
Static heap usage: 12486816 of 12582912 bytes

But from the result it seems that I have not completely understood how this test should be executed! Sorry!

  Angelo.