Re: choice for the new emacs icon

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: choice for the new emacs icon
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 00:32:27 -0800

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:10:05 +0100
Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Miles,
>
> >>   > These new icons look very "OSX"...]
> >>
> >> Which would be a positive thing, isn't it?
> >
> > Um.
> >
> > Icons on OSX are often very pretty and glossy looking, but they
> > don't necessarily mesh well with what's on other systems...
> >
> > [e.g., the trend on OSX seems to be towards hyper-realistic icons,
> > whereas on other systems, icons tend to be more abstract.]
>
> The new icons match KDE4's Qxygen theme quite good.  It seems they
> adopted the convention that editors use a pen in their icon.  For
> example the attached png is the new icon for KDE's text editor kate.
> The new emacs icon would fit very well in that environment.

It may be worth considering that Emacs is a bit more than just a text editor.
I can't think of another editor that has a native browser implementation.

Presenting Emacs as an editor is analogous to presenting mathematics as
arithmetic.
I think Emacs is unique enough that the standard categorizations do not suffice
allowing quite a bit of leeway in choosing an icon. What is the standard symbol
for
a hosted lisp environment ? :)