RE: [21.1.90]: point put at point-min in *compilation*

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: RE: [21.1.90]: point put at point-min in *compilation*
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:19:43 -0000

> From: Richard Stallman [mailto:address@hidden
>
>     In 21.1.90, point is placed at point-min, so that you have to
actively
>     scroll the window to see compilation output.  I really don't like
it!

> I made that change because someone complained about the old behavior.
> The old behavior is inconsistent, doing one thing in the
> first compilation
> and something else in a recompilation.
>
> The new behavior is consistent: it does the same thing for the second
> compilation and the first.

Ok.

Glenn Morris pointed out that I could use compilation-scroll-output and
grep-scroll-output to change the behaviour.  However, they aren't
mentioned in NEWS and they are not autoloaded, so I wasn't able to
discover what to do about this change.

I don't know what the guidelines are for autoloading custom options, but
perhaps at least there should be a NEWS entry to explain the change to
this behaviour, with a mention of these options (and any other
equivalents for other similar modes)?

I would guess that a default of t for compilation-scroll-output would be
better that the current default of nil, but YMMV.  When I'm compiling, I
generally want to see progress, so I generally want Emacs to scroll the
window for me.

Simon.

Misys and Misys International Banking Systems is a trading name for Misys
International Banking Systems Limited which is registered in England and Wales
under company registration number 00971479 and with its registered office
address at Burleigh House, Chapel Oak, Salford Priors, Evesham WR11 8SP.
THIS E-MAIL DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE COMMENCEMENT OF LEGAL RELATIONS BETWEEN YOU
AND MISYS INTERNATIONAL BANKING SYSTEMS LIMITED. PLEASE REFER TO THE EXECUTED
CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU AND THE RELEVANT MEMBER OF THE MISYS GROUP FOR THE
IDENTITY OF THE CONTRACTING PARTY WITH WHICH YOU ARE DEALING.