Re: emacsclient bug

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacsclient bug
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:29:15 -0500

> emacsclient -d $DISPLAY -c
> works, but this is very annoying, because there are many situations
> where emacsclient is handy but determining the current display is not so
> easy.

> For example I use the ViewSourceWith Firefox extension, with emacsclient
> as editor and `-c $f' as parameters, ($f is expanded by the plugin).

How did you do it with Emacs-22?

The -c argument is not very clearly specified: it just says "use a new
frame", so if the current Emacs frame is on a tty, creating a new frame
on that same tty seems like a correct choice.

If you don't want tty frames, then maybe you shouldn't start your Emacs
server on a tty?

Of course, if your Emacs server has both X11 and tty frames, then "-c"
will arbitrarily open either a tty frame or an X11 frame depending on
which frame happens to be selected when the emacsclient connects to it.

Maybe there should be some kind of affinity: look at the emacsclient
context (its tty and its $DISPLAY setting) and then look for an existing
frame (or terminal) that is "similar" (same tty or same $DISPLAY).
This would remove/reduce the "arbitrary" part of the behavior.

        Stefan