Re: Improving X selection?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:15:19 +0000

On 07/02/2008, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Could you remind us what is the UI-behaviors that you want to provide
> that requires interprogram-highlight-function (and same thing for
> interprogram-lightins-function)?

N.B. I used interprogram-*-functions rather than X11isms (considered
mouse-yank-primary to be an X11ism) to preserve valuable abstraction
barriers between term (window system) specifics and emacs core.  Such
barriers are perhaps currently crumbled slightly as Jason Rumney's
recent w32-vars mail in this thread illustrates, but are IMO worthy of
repair, not teardown, especially given multi-tty.

Highlight:

recent-X11-style behaviour, propagate the active region to the X11 primary,
_without_ affecting clipboard or kill-ring.

lightins:

recent-X11-style behaviour, middle-button insert of X11 primary,
_without_ affecting clipboard or kill-ring.