23.0.60; RMAIL reading of mail file

From: jpff
Subject: 23.0.60; RMAIL reading of mail file
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:46:05 +0000

I have been performing further experiments on this question (reading
my RMAIL file into latest CVS emacs).  On a 2GHz AMD64x2 machine it
took 118minutes of CPU, basically 100% of one processor for 2 hours to
obey M-x rmail-mode after I had loaded the file with M-x
find-file-literally.  This seems in line with my belief that the
algorithm being used is n^2, and for my 95Kb file is totally
unacceptable.  The good news is that it does run....... eventually.
On my laptop this translates to over 3hrs which is comparable with
the time between getting up and going to work, or being at work.  I am
willing to help but I do not understand what it is trying to do; but
it is reading data more than once.

==John ffitch