Re: Improving X selection?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 18:07:53 +0000

On 07/02/2008, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

> How does middle-button *affect* clipboard and/or kill-ring?  Do you
> mean something like "consult"?

Consult clipboard, affect kill ring.  With existing emacs unpatched
mouse-yank-at-click, the kill-ring is affected (since the yank uses
current-kill which uses the interprogram-paste-function, potentially
/pushing onto/ kill ring.)

As I realised some users probably like middle-button inserted text
being subsequently available on the kill ring (it is after all current
emacs behaviour!), I allowed two ways for mouse-yank-at-click to work.
 If mouse-yank-at-click-source is yank, then a kill-ring yank (and
thereby current-kill and interprogram-paste-function) is used, and if
it is lightins, then
the interpgroam-lightins-function is used and the kill ring is not touched.

With the extended x-select-enable-clipboard and x-select-enable-primary,
it is possible to specify whether clipboard or primary or both should
be pulled in with (the X11 implementations of)
interprogram-paste-function or interprogram-lightins-function.

This allows both all historic emacs customizations and intended behaviour.