Re: Improving X selection?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 18:22:07 +0000

On 07/02/2008, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

> The current behavior
> of Emacs (and XEmacs) was generally decided ages ago, deliberately
> flouting the conventions of X11 (I believe these are recommended but
> not mandated by the ICCCM), which haven't changed since then AFAICT.
> My understanding is that this behavior was hotly debated at that time,
> and deliberately chosen.

Since then, freedesktop.org has further spoken, so things have in fact
changed slightly:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/clipboards-spec/clipboards-latest.txt

>  > lightins:
>
> Yuck.  Sounds like occupying a government office as a demonstration
> against opaque politics.  Please spell out your intended expansion,
> and let the users choose the abbreviation.

Would be nice to find one that didn't induce an extra hyphen is all -
interprogram-cut-function
interprogram-paste-function
interprogram-highlight-function
interprogram-highlight-insert-function

is just annoyingly asymmetric looking.  It's probably "good enough" though,
unless there's a better suggestion.