Re: Improving X selection?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:51:47 -0500

>> For all three cases, the first question is "where does the text come from":
>> No 3 should always use the CLIPBOARD then PRIMARY then kill ring.
>> No 2 should use the CLIPBOARD only if x-select-enable-clipboard is set.
>> No 1 is identical except it may also not check PRIMARY either.

> This is, of course, totally a matter of opinion, and is the reason
> the complication exists for those of us who have other opinions.

I must say I do not understand.  It seems your opinion is covered in the
above.  Except for the details of what happens where there's both
a CLIPBOARD and a PRIMARY selection (and they're different, of course)
which is neither mentioned nor ruled out.

        Stefan "Using ctwm"

PS: For the rest I agree whole heartedly.  Been through the pain of trying
cut&paste and have it fail unexplicably (at least until I figured that
one app uses CLIPBOARD and the other PRIMARY etc...).
I also tend to agree with your rant about freedesktop.