Re: Adding M-x iwconfig to net-utils.el

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Adding M-x iwconfig to net-utils.el
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 06:42:02 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:
>>> BTW, why does net-utils.el constantly refer to it as "ipconfig", when
>>> clearly it's running "ifconfig"?  Every system I've ever used has called
>>> it "ifconfig", so it seems very weird...
>>
>> It must be a Microsoft Windows thing, since the net-utils.el code says:
>>
>> (defcustom ipconfig-program
>>   (if (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
>>       "ipconfig"
>>     "ifconfig")
>
> Yuck...  Emacs shouldn't be using windows-influenced names, I think.

That can be added to my proposed patch easily enough, or as an
additional trivial patch.

It would also probably change the name of the buffer and the current
net-utils.el alias:

;; This is the normal name on most Unixes.
;;;###autoload
(defalias 'ifconfig 'ipconfig)

...to:

;; This is the the name of the command on Windows NT.
;;;###autoload
(defalias 'ipconfig 'ifconfig)