Re: emacs bootstrap hangs on Windows XP / mingw

From: Dieter Deyke
Subject: Re: emacs bootstrap hangs on Windows XP / mingw
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:52:46 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Dieter Deyke <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 16:47:50 -0700
>>
>> I did build the CVS version of emacs every week for at least a year with
>> the same setup, and never had any problems before. The last good build
>> was 1/25/2008, the build last Friday was the first to fail. I think that
>> this was just after the Unicode merge.
>
> I have no idea what could have causing this, or how to debug this
> without being able to run the failing command under GDB.  Can you
> start the failing Emacs invocation from GDB?
>
>> I also have cygwin installed, but it should be later in the PATH, and
>> therefore not be used for the emacs build.
>
> Perhaps remove it from the PATH, and see if that changes anything.
>
>> BTW, I have the same setup on 2 machines, and they both fail at the
>> same place.
>
> Which suggests that something in your setup triggers this, but what?
>
> Do you have some antivirus installed?  If so, how about if you disable
> it and see if that helps?

Quick update:

- I did update all mingw tools to the latest versions:

  binutils-2.18.50-20080109.tar.gz
  gcc-core-4.2.1-sjlj-2.tar.gz
  gdb-6.7.50.20071127-mingw.tar.bz2
  mingw-runtime-3.14.tar.gz
  mingw-utils-0.3.tar.gz
  mingw32-make-3.81-2.tar.gz
  w32api-3.11.tar.gz

- I removed all cygwin directories from PATH

  The side effect of this now is:

  Using C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe as shell.

- I did not change anything about antivirus, because I get the same
  problems on 2 systems which have different antivirus software
  installed

The result of those changes is that I now see the same problem as other
people in this group, which is

make[2]: Entering directory
`C:/Users/deyke/emacs-build/subdir/work/admin/unidata'
"../../src/oo-spd/i386/emacs.exe" -Q --multibyte -batch -f batch-byte-compile
unidata-gen.el
Cannot open load file: encoded-kb
make[2]: *** [unidata-gen.elc] Error -1

Instead of trying to get my setup to work, may I ask what setups other
people are using which do work?

Thanks,
--
Dieter Deyke