Re: Still cannot build native windows version of emacs 23.*

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Still cannot build native windows version of emacs 23.*
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 14:20:20 +0200

> Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:50:59 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > From: Eric Lilja <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:35:37 +0100
> >
> > It does indeed seem to bootstrap now! I haven't performed a make info
> > and make install yet because I'm worried about the locale-related
> > warning that is displayed for all lisp files when they are compiled.
>
> I'll try to look at those.

I took a quick look.  The warning comes from this code in
mule-cmds.el, part of the function set-locale-environment:

        (when (get-language-info current-language-environment 'coding-priority)
          (let ((codeset (locale-info 'codeset))
                (coding-system (car (coding-system-priority-list))))
            (when codeset
              (let ((cs (coding-system-aliases coding-system))
                    result)
                (while (and cs (not result))
                  (setq result
                        (locale-charset-match-p (symbol-name (pop cs))
                                                (locale-info 'codeset))))
                (unless result
                  (message "Warning: Default coding system `%s' disagrees with
  system codeset `%s' for this locale." coding-system codeset))))))))

As far as I could see, `(locale-info 'codeset)' on Windows returns the
codepage that corresponds to the current language, e.g. cp1252 for a
Western-European locale.  But this codepage is not in the list
returned by coding-system-priority-list; thus the warning.

I don't really understand the rationale for this test and the warning;
Handa-san, could you please shed some light on it?  What does this
code try to find out, and what is the meaning of the warning?

TIA