23.0.60; RMAIL reading of mail file

From: Bob Rogers
Subject: 23.0.60; RMAIL reading of mail file
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:40:04 -0500

   From: <address@hidden>
   Date: Thu,  7 Feb 2008 16:46:05 +0000

   I have been performing further experiments on this question (reading
   my RMAIL file into latest CVS emacs).  On a 2GHz AMD64x2 machine it
   took 118minutes of CPU, basically 100% of one processor for 2 hours to
   obey M-x rmail-mode after I had loaded the file with M-x
   find-file-literally.  This seems in line with my belief that the
   algorithm being used is n^2, and for my 95Kb file is totally
   unacceptable . . .

   ==John ffitch

I cannot reproduce this on my 1.8GHz i686 Athlon with 256M of RAM, using
emacsen built from trunk today and on 27-Jan (i.e. both before and after
the Unicode merge).  I observe linear CPU-time growth between files of
127M and 254M (albeit artificially constructed ones), to a total of
about 18sec and 34sec respectively.

   I wonder, how much RAM do you have on this system?

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/