Re: Image DLLs for the Windows binary of Emacs 22.2

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Image DLLs for the Windows binary of Emacs 22.2
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 23:24:46 +0100

On Sun, Feb 10 2008, Jason Rumney wrote:

> Reiner Steib wrote:
>> Any comments or a decision about the other image DLLs?
>
> Unless someone comes forward willing to do the work involved in
> finding an up to date version of each library that builds on
> Windows, then it isn't going to happen. I put in the work for the
> XPM library, because without that library the toolbar and other
> images built into Emacs do not display correctly.

Thanks a lot for your work on this.

> For other formats, I don't think the benefits outweigh the effort
> required.

And thanks for the clarification as well.

> PS it is not clear from the previous thread which you posted some messages
> from what the consensus was. We started talking about incuding libXpm (only)
> in Emacs CVS, and in fact Richard seems to be disagreeing with bundling any
> image libraries in the binary,

Could you please point me to this message?

> and instead distributing them alongside Emacs which is what I was
> questioning, since I think the "other people say that would be a
> pain" was actually in relation to including libXpm in CVS.

I think this was some misunderstanding.

My understanding is...

- It is okay to include the image DLLs in the emacs-22.*-bin-i386.zip
  file (i.e. as emacs/bin/*.dll when unpacked) [1] if...

  - they are free software [2]

  - we make sure that the binaries (DLLs) have whatever notices are
    required by their licenses [3]

  - we distribute the source of the DLLs alongside [3], i.e. at the
    same download directory as emacs-22.*-bin-i386.zip

Bye, Reiner.

[1]
,----[ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/74093 ]
| From: Reiner Steib
| Date: 2007-07-01 09:03:52 GMT
|
| On Sun, Jul 01 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:
|
| >     Probably it wasn't clear from the quoted context: The binaries on
| >     <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows> don't include DLLs required to
| >     display XPM (tool bar), PNG, JPEG and other images in Emacs.
| >
| > For convenience, let's put these libraries on the site.
|
| It would be preferable to include the libraries in the zip archive in
| the right directory (emacs-22.1/bin/ (?), along with some
| README.image-libs file?).
`----

Richard responded to this:

,----[ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/74124 ]
| That sounds convenient for the users.
`----

[2]
,----[ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/15833 ]
| From: Richard Stallman
| To: Reiner Steib
| Cc: lennart.borgman.073[...], address@hidden
| Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:00:20 -0400
|
|     If there's no problem WRT license issues, I think it would make much
|     sense to include the image support DLLs in the official Emacs
|     distribution for windows.
|
| Are these libraries free software?
| If so, I don't mind including them.
`----