Re: patch to include EasyPG to Emacs

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: patch to include EasyPG to Emacs
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:34:09 +0900

2008/2/11, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:

>   > ! @c @cartouche
>   > ! @c @example
>   > ! @c $ ./configure
>   > ! @c $ sudo make install
>   > ! @c @end example
>   > ! @c @end cartouche
>
> Not needed given that it's installed by default now.

So, they are commented.  I thought that it makes easy to maintain the
external EasyPG package (I looked at tramp.texi for reference), but I
have no strong opinion to leave them.  .

>   > ! @c @noindent
>   > ! @c Then, add the following line to your @file{~/.emacs}
>   > !
>   > ! Add the following line to your @file{~/.emacs}.
>   >
>   >   @cartouche
>   >   @lisp
>   > ! (epa-mode 1)
>
> Is this still needed now that epa is part of emacs?

> If yes, can't it be done with customize instead of editing .emacs?
> Ideally the user should have to do nothing by default...

Totally agreed.  I'll give some thought.

> + (defconst epa-menu-items
> +   '("EasyPG Assistant"
>
> Please replace this with something more obvious to someone that does not
> know what "EasyPG Assistant" is.  Maybe something like
> "Encryption/Decryption"?

I didn't know the convention of menu labels.  If it is okay to have
generic labels, I'd rather prefer them.  Me too thought of some labels
like "Cryptography" and "GnuPG", but I chose the most specific one.

>   > + ;;;###autoload
>   > + (define-minor-mode epa-menu-mode
>   > +   "Minor mode to hook EasyPG into the menu-bar."
>
> Isn't this overkill, a global minor mode just to hook into the menu-bar?

I worried about someone will not like the "Tools" menu being too high.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno