Re: carriage-return no longer works quite right in shell-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: carriage-return no longer works quite right in shell-mode
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:17:51 -0500

Would someone please investigate this, DTRT, then ack?  I'd guess it
was broken by unicode-2 merge.

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:03:58 +0100
From: "Chris Moore" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

I recently updated Emacs from the CVS trunk and one of the programs I
run inside a shell-mode buffer has stopped formatting its output
correctly.

It uses carriage return characters to re-write the same line over and
over, and leaves the cursor at the beginning of the line.  Here's a
simplified example that no longer works in Emacs:

#include <stdio.h>
main() {
  int i;
  for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
    printf("  count: %d\r", i);
    fflush(stdout);
    sleep(1);
  }
  printf("\n");
}

Instead of re-writing the same part of the buffer over and over, I see:
    count: 0  count: 1  count: 2
in the buffer - the carriage return isn't returning the carriage like
it used to.

I notice that apt-get does still work - that leaves the cursor at the
end of the line, which I guess is the important difference.