Re: patch to include EasyPG to Emacs

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: patch to include EasyPG to Emacs
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:48:18 -0800

Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> writes:

  >   ;;;###autoload
  > ! (define-minor-mode epa-global-dired-mode
  >     "Minor mode to hook EasyPG into Dired."
  >     :global t :init-value nil :group 'epa-dired :version "23.1"
  > !   (remove-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'epa-dired-mode)
  > !   (if epa-global-dired-mode
  > !       (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'epa-dired-mode)))

This mode only adds key bindings, right? Then why not add the key
bindings directly to dired?
(And menu entries for 4 operations to the dired "Operate" menu)

  >   ;;;###autoload
  >   (define-minor-mode epa-mode
  >     "Minor mode to hook EasyPG into various modes.
  >   See `epa-global-minor-modes'."
  >     :global t :init-value nil :group 'epa :version "23.1"
  > +   (unless epa-menu
  > +     (easy-menu-define epa-menu nil "EasyPG Assistant global menu"
  > +       epa-menu-items))

Can't these menus be added unconditionally?  This seems like good
functionality to have (and it would simplify the code too).
Why not ask RMS for permission?

Also ask RMS about having .gpg automatically decrypted.  This is analog
to what we do for compressed files... (This would simplify the code and
also the documentation).

For the docs:

    @node Key management
    @section Key management
    Probably the first step of using EasyPG Assistant is to browse your
    keyring.  @kbd{M-x epa-list-keys} is corresponding to @samp{gpg

IMHO the first step would be to create the keyring.

Hope this helps.

          --dan