RE: FW: loaded minor modes should be added to `mode-line-mode-menu'andOp

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: FW: loaded minor modes should be added to `mode-line-mode-menu'andOptions menu
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:41:02 -0800

>     It would be better for these menus to reflect the user's
>     own context: to show which minor modes have been defined,
>     whether they were predefined as part of Emacs or not.
>     It makes at least as much sense for a user to be able
>     to access, by menu, the modes s?he actually uses as modes
>     s?he might never use.
>
> That would make the menu of modes so large
> it would be hard to use at all.

Fair enough. But instead of doing such filtering via hard-coding in a
repetitive way, why not let `define-minor-mode', `define-global-minor-mode',
and `define-globalized-minor-mode' do it? Let them accept an argument,
keyword or some other indication (e.g. lighter text prefix, just as we use *
and such for doc strings and for `interactive') to decide whether to add to
a menu.

IOW, on the spectrum from hand- and hard-coded to blindly and automatically
added, pick something systematic but manageable that's midway.