Re: change cursor type when idle

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: change cursor type when idle
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:31:27 +0200

>  - Someone that uses input methods should comment if changing the
>  cursor for when doing that is useful.

Yes, this is very useful.  This helps keeping track of the current
input method when typing multilingual texts (the indication on the
mode line is too hard to quickly locate when eyes are on the cursor).

>  - Changing the cursor in overwrite mode seems like a good idea, other
>    editors do it too.

But other editors usually start with a bar cursor by default, and
switch it to a box cursor in overwrite mode.

>  - IMO we should only consider adding this if we are willing to turn it
>    on by default.  If it's not considered useful enough to be on by
>    default, then it seems like fluff that it's not worth documenting.

I'm not against merging this with cua-mode by moving it to a separate
package like cua-cursor (isn't using a box cursor in overwrite mode
a CUA thing?)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/