Re: Startup screen default directory

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Startup screen default directory
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:30:44 +0200

> In my major instance of GNU Emacs, I load over 20 files from a saved
> desktop, but my `desktop-save-mode' variable is nil because I want
> always to load the same files, but often look at others that I do not
> necessarily want the next time I start Emacs.
>
> On the other hand, in a root owned instance, in a `when' expression, I
> evoke
>
>   (desktop-save-mode 1)
>   (desktop-read "/root")
>
> The root owned instance says:
>
>     desktop-save-mode is a variable defined in `desktop.el'.
>     Its value is t

A more relevant variable that determines if the desktop was really
loaded and that it created some buffers is `desktop-buffer-ok-count'.

Currently it is locally bound in `desktop-read' but could be changed
to be global.  So if `desktop-buffer-ok-count' > 0 then don't show
the startup screen.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/