Re: CANNOT_DUMP support

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CANNOT_DUMP support
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:33:02 -0500

    XEmacs has not had an unexec issue since 2001, because of the
    introduction of the "portable dumper".

It sounds interesting.

                                            The portable dumper
    transparently ignored the "Hannibal Lector" ld and (mostly) the "Chaos
    Incarnate" SELinux loader.  It also has made preload support for new
    platforms trivial.

I am completely lost.  It sounds like a statement of opinion about ld
(I know what that does, at least) and about the SELinux loader (which
I know nothing about).  But it is stated in such a witty way that I
can't tell what opinion it is intended to express.

Can you tell us more about how this works and what it does?

    may even be legally[1] usable, as the number of contributors is very
    small and all (except maybe Kyle Jones) would probably sign
    assignments.

I don't think we even have contact with him any more.
Do you?  Supposing he won't sign, how hard is it to rip out
and replace his code?

      (It does depend on the layout and types of builtin Lisp
    objects, so probably it wouldn't help all that much, though.)

Do you mean that it would be hard to adapt it for the differences
in those layouts?

Could we adapt the idea, at least?