Re: (aset UNIBYTE-STRING MULTIBYTE-CHAR)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: (aset UNIBYTE-STRING MULTIBYTE-CHAR)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:01:00 -0500

    In emacs-unicode-2 branch, there was a discussion about the
    rightness of aset changing the multibyteness of a string,
    and I changed the code to signal an error in the above case.

    But, I got reports claiming that the change breaks some of
    already existing Elisp packages.

We should investigate what packages these are, what they are doing
that uses this, and how hard it is to fix them.  Based on that
we can decide.  It is ok to break a few things in a way that
is easy to fix.

But it is not terribly hard to make this case work once again, given
that all strings are indirect.  At worst, one can make a new string
with the modified contents, then swap the `data' pointers between the
new string and the old one.

That would be better than breaking lots of packages.