Re: CUA-mode features and documenation

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: CUA-mode features and documenation
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:12:56 +0900

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
> Is it not reasonable to assume that most new users expects and wants the
> behaviour that cua-selection-mode gives?

I have no idea.  I presume that many new-to-emacs users might be used to
such a command set; on the other hand I presume many existing emacs
users (upgrading to a new version) would not.  We cater to both.

> Can you explain what is lost if cua-selection-mode is used instead of
> transient-mark-mode?

I haven't used cua-selection-mode enough to have a good idea of the
practical (user-visible) difference (e.g. if there are serious
incompatibilities), but cua-selection-mode (1) rebinds a bunch of very
basic commands, (2) adds a post-command hook.

Those two things aren't to be taken lightly, I think.  The second is
particularly worrying.

-Miles

--
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're
just making him madder and madder." -- Homer Simpson