Re: paragraphs.el: do forward-sentence and friends not work?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: paragraphs.el: do forward-sentence and friends not work?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 02:18:41 +0000 (UTC)

    > You need to set sentence-end-double-space to nil.

    That works. Why is this variable not nil by default?

Because in North American English, the custom developed to end
sentences with double spaces.  With single spaces between sentences, I
find text less readable.  (I don't know the custom in UK English or in
other languages.)  In many ways, the custom is similar to that for
punctuation:  a semi-colon indicates a longer pause than a comma and a
period indicates a longer pause than a semi-colon.  (A `period' in
American English is a `fullstop' in UK English.  As far as I can see,
the British word makes more sense than the American.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden