Re: CANNOT_DUMP support

From: Chris Hall
Subject: Re: CANNOT_DUMP support
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:44:58 -1000

On 2008-02-13 20:47:46 -1000 Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

If somebody wants to follow up, Olivier Galibert knows how.

This page at the XEmacs web site:

http://www.xemacs.org/Releases/Public-21.2/projects/pdump.html

appears to have been written by one Olivier Galibert, and includes the following:

"The portable dumper executes Emacs as usual, then reloads the Lisp code and data very quickly from a specially formatted dump file. This is not as fast as the unexec method, but it requires much less knowledge of the operating system, and is thus more portable and maintainable. ... it is a distinct improvement over the traditional dump process on the NT platform. ... this feature is considered extremely important for the Windows platform, and truly reverting this feature to the status quo ante would require reimplementing pure space,"

Then under "Other open issues" (although it appears to be the only open issue):

"The pdumper has cost us ``pure space.'' this bothers Hrvoje, at least."

The implications of this are beyond my ken, but I assume pure space exists for a reason, so there exists a high probability of implications.