Re: emacs 23.0.60.1 built today (11th feb 2008) crashes under Vista

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: emacs 23.0.60.1 built today (11th feb 2008) crashes under Vista
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:32:17 +0000

Eric Lilja wrote:
Juanma Barranquero wrote:
On Feb 14, 2008 1:44 AM, Eric Lilja <address@hidden> wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as the error introduced to coding.c is
fixed so I can bootstrap again. :)

Just change the ASLOTs to AREF in the CODING_ATTR_* defines of coding.h

             Juanma

Thanks, bootstrapping now and enjoying a cup of tea while I wait.

I am happy to report that Emacs does indeed not crash on Vista after reverting the changes to w32.c, using the method suggested by Juanma. Hopefully a proper fix (because I assume the changes I reverted have some purpose too) isn't too hard to do.

One possibility is that user_sid is not large enough to hold the sub authorities on Vista. One way to check this is to look at the value of trash in init_user_info just before the crash occurs. That should contain the size that was required. This code could all be written more robustly, checking the size and using alloca to temporarily allocate a larger buffer where necessary.