Re: paragraphs.el: do forward-sentence and friends not work?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: paragraphs.el: do forward-sentence and friends not work?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:07:04 +0900

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I wonder whether. this is either something that should be part of
>>> MULE.
>>
>> What does it have to do with MULE?
>
> People here have argued that French spacing is a language-specific
> matter. (Of course it's not a question of encodings.)

Actually, what I wish is that I could separate the "recognition"
functionality (M-a, M-e, fill, etc) of sentence-end-double-space from
the "canonicalize" functionality (in fill).

This is because I often edit text written by other people.  I'd like M-a
and M-e to continue working on their text (even though personally prefer
to use two spaces), and indeed, I'd like filling to recognize those
single-space ends of sentences and replace them with two spaces (it
currently can only do the reverse).

Of course this would work better with a more intelligent recognition of
single-space sentence ends, as you mention.

-Miles

--
Once, adj. Enough.