Re: 23.0.60; gdb not running the program first time around

From: robert marshall
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; gdb not running the program first time around
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:28:31 +0000

Nick Roberts wrote:
 > I've just managed to replicate this behaviour when starting with -Q
> I think it happens when I type 'run' - at the prompt (already there in > the buffer) - when the status line still says [initializing], so it > changes to [ready] at around the same time as I press 'enter' > ipsa-so is a fairly large file (c 90MB) and it takes around 2 sec from > entering the 'gdb --annotate...' line to get to gdb showing [ready], > I've just tried to do the same thing with the emacs binary and that > starts up far too fast to get the same problem!

OK, I can see this now.  Emacs just discards the input if it's not ready, so
you don't need to do "C-c C-c" but just re-enter your input, e.g, run.
It doesn't look right, however, and I can see how it causes confusion.

Can you please try the patch below which also fixes a couple of other minor
problems at startup.  Instead of discarding the input, it should now just defer
it.  It would be helpful if you could gorilla test it and report any problems
you see as I would like to add these changes to EMACS_22_BASE for the imminent
release of Emacs 22.2

Thanks for the report.

Your patch appears to work well so far - I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and let you know if I see any further problems.

I've just tried
   (setq gdb-many-windows t)
- not used this before and apart from being faviourably impressed :-) I've come across one problem. Our code tends to swap languages - top level is C++ which calls a c layer which then invokes some fortran, when I get down to the fortran I get a debugger segmentation fault immediately, I don't see this issue when gdb-many-windows is nil

Do you want me to create a separate report for this - I assume there's a couple of issues here a gdb one and a gdb-ui.el one? Is it possible to run gdb within gdb in emacs?

Robert