Re: python.el fixes for Emacs 22

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: python.el fixes for Emacs 22
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:43:52 -0500

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 8:27 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> >     Apart from Ken Manheimer, I have the impression that the
> >     developers of python-mode.el have a preference towards XEmacs and
> >     aren't interested in assigning copyright to FSF.
> >
> > That is too bad.
>
> "Not interested" need not be the same as "opposed to".  No idea how the
> situation is here.

hi, all.  sorry it's taken me a while to join this conversation.  i
adamantly want to see the pdbtrack functionality, which was integrated
to python-mode.el, included in the python mode delivered with emacs.
at one point it was integrated with the version of python.el that was
supposed to be included with the release of emacs 22.  i was perplexed
and dismayed to discover, however, that somehow changed at the last
moment, and it still hasn't been rectified.

in general, i haven't understood why a version of python mode was
created (python.el) separate from that of python-mode.el.
python-mode.el is a pretty fine mode implementation, and (if i do say
so myself), pdb tracking is worth as much as any mode feature, for
those of us familiar with it.

it looks like the reason for the separate implementation of python.el
had something to do with problems getting copyright assignments.  i
think that could be settled, and probably could help with that, but
now we have two separate python mode implementations, and i don't know
how to resolve the choice between them.

in any case, i *do* want to see pdb tracking included in whichever.
as the author of the feature, i should be able to authorize its use
wherever, and am frustrated with the twisty turns of events that have
prevented that.  while my time is limited for reimplementing it, i can
probably help with that and/or with seeing about getting license
assignment for python-mode.el.
--
ken manheimer
http://myriadicity.net