Re: python.el fixes for Emacs 22

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: python.el fixes for Emacs 22
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:22:56 -0500

On Feb 15, 2008 6:57 PM, Nick Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:

>  > > I never installed that patch because I was uncertain about the authorship
>  > > of the parts of python-mode.el that I was taking from.
>  >
>  > i believe that any changes to the code for pdb tracking functionality were
>  > trivial, and that my copyright assignment would be sufficient for that part
>  > of it.  i can check with barry, who incorporated the stand-alone code i had
>  > written (as "pdbtrack.el") into python-mode.el
>
> About 90% of the patch is for pdbtrack, mostly taken verbatim after the line:
>
> ;; pdbtrack features
>
> The other 10% is generally defining defcustoms that pdbtrack uses.

i think it's a pretty safe bet that i could claim responsibility for
that code - and i've contacted barry just to be sure it's ok with him,
since he did the retrofitting to python-mode.el

>  > > I still have a local copy of the patch updated to the trunk and could
>  > > install it now if instructed to do so.
>  > >
>  > > There appear to be two options:
>  > >
>  > > 1) Install my patch in python.el which may in reality only involve your
>  > >   contribution to python-mode.el and may not require other signatures.
>  > >
>  > > 2) Replace python.el with a modified python-mode.el which would require
>  > >   more signatures (Barry Warsaw, Skip Montanero?) and more work.
>  >
>  >
>  > it sounds like you have done some substantial comparison between the two
>  > implementations of python-mode, at least when you were working on the
>  > patches.  can you characterize the differences between the two?  i never
>  > tried python.el very far, because it lacked pdb tracking - but i've always
>  > been favorably impressed with python-mode.el, and would be expect it to
>  > offer a good basis to work from.
>
> Firstly, as a disclaimer, I'm not a Python programmer.  My curiosity came from
> working on gud.el and M-x pdb.  So I can't characterise the differences
> between
> the two but I'm sure someone else on the list can.

i do hope someone could describe the differences.  i'm curious why
something besides python-mode.el was even necessary in the first
place.  just copyright assignment obstacles?

python-mode.el has been around almost as long as python has been
available on the internet.  though he might be horrified by the
gushing praise, tim peters, the original author, is one of the single
most skilled programmers around.  he no longer uses emacs, but his
python-mode has always worked outstandingly well.  barry warsaw, who
took up maintenance after tim, is no slouch as well, and has been
diligent.  other skilled, central python folk have been involved, and
i suspect python-mode.el offers a trove of good code, worth examining
for some kind of consolidation with python.el.  i don't have time,
myself, or i'd stop trying to sell the idea and just do it...

>  > i'm planning to contact barry and skip to see about copyright assignments -
>  > would that help?  would you be willing to revisit your patches and bring
>  > them up to date, if clearance for python-mode.el became possible?
>
> I think they are up to date.  I've just tried to take pdbtrack from
> python-mode.el and adapt it for python.el.  I can't remember the details
> but I think I made minor changes like making the hooks added to
> comint-output-filter-functions local.
>
> My intention was just to get pdbtrack into python.el and leave it to those
> who use Python to make improvements.

thanks much for doing that.  i hope the patch can land, now.
--
ken
http://myriadicity.net