Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead of utf-8)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:42:59 +0900

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> Maybe this could be extended to something like:

>    If VAL is a cons of coding systems, the car part is used for decoding,
>    and the cdr part is used for encoding.  The cdr may be a symbol, in
>    which case it is always used, or a list of coding systems, which are
>    added to the front of the list used by the normal coding-system
>    detection mechanism, as if by `prefer-coding-system'.

Oh, whoops, I confused the car and the cdr; I meant:

   If VAL is a cons of coding systems, the car part is used for decoding,
   and the cdr part is used for encoding.  The car may be a symbol, in
   which case it is always used, or a list of coding systems, which are
   added to the front of the list used by the normal coding-system
   detection mechanism, as if by `prefer-coding-system'.

That would mean you could use a value like:

   ((utf-8) . utf-8)

to indicate "do normal coding detection on read, but utf-8 is
preferred [over the users normal coding list]."

-Miles

--
Ocean, n. A body of water covering seven-tenths of a world designed for Man -
who has no gills.