Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead of utf-8)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:03:51 +0000

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Jason Rumney writes:

 > I think you're misunderstanding.

No, I'm not.  Look at the subject.

If the subject is all you have read of this thread, then you are definitely misunderstanding.

 > And when the user explicitly sets the file-coding-system to
 > latin-1, we ignore it and save as utf-8.

PSGML and nXML were both written by James Clark;

This is nothing to do with psgml (which is not part of Emacs), or nxml. AFAIK psgml does nothing about encoding, as sgml files are not necessarily in any particular encoding. Nxml had some code which as far as I understand is similar to what I was proposing as a solution here. I removed that code shortly after it was merged into Emacs since Emacs already had code which seemed to do the same thing for XML files, regardless of mode. It is only now that I found out that the code in Emacs is overly simplistic, forcing UTF-8 even against users' wishes.